Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 4.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Champaign-Urbana, IL market declined by 3,176 jobs in August and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Champaign-Urbana, IL unemployment rate is 51 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 5.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.9%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 32,400; -1,000
- Education & Healthcare: 18,800; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 16,300; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,700; -100
- Business Services: 8,700; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,800; no change
- Financial Services: 4,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 3,400; no change
- IT & Development: 2,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.