Overall unemployment rate moved down to 1.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Burlington-South Burlington, VT market rose by 1,388 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 1.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Burlington-South Burlington, VT unemployment rate is 208 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 8.2% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 21,800; -300
- Transportation & Utilities: 21,600; no change
- Government: 19,500; -800
- Business Services: 15,800; no change
- Manufacturing: 12,600; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 12,300; +400
- Construction, Mining: 6,600; +100
- Financial Services: 4,500; -100
- Other Jobs: 4,100; +200
- IT & Development: 2,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.