Overall unemployment rate moved down to 1.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Burlington-South Burlington, VT market declined by 659 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 1.7%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Burlington-South Burlington, VT unemployment rate is 209 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 4.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 22,000; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 21,400; no change
- Government: 19,400; -300
- Business Services: 16,000; +200
- Manufacturing: 12,600; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 12,400; +100
- Construction, Mining: 6,500; -100
- Financial Services: 4,600; +100
- Other Jobs: 4,200; no change
- IT & Development: 2,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.