Overall unemployment rate moved up to 1.9% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Burlington-South Burlington, VT market rose by 543 jobs in April and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 1.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Burlington-South Burlington, VT unemployment rate is 144 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in April versus prior month by 7.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.0% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 22,200; -200
- Government: 22,000; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 21,200; no change
- Business Services: 15,900; +500
- Manufacturing: 12,300; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 5,800; +700
- Financial Services: 4,500; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,000; no change
- IT & Development: 2,200; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.