Overall unemployment rate moved down to 5.6% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Brownsville-Harlingen, TX market rose by 435 jobs in October and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 5.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Brownsville-Harlingen, TX unemployment rate is 220 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 2.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 46,700; +700
- Government: 28,900; +300
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,700; +100
- Business Services: 17,300; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 17,200; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.