Overall unemployment rate moved down to 6.1% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Brownsville-Harlingen, TX market rose by 2,285 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 120 bps to 6.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Brownsville-Harlingen, TX unemployment rate is 235 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 5.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 44,800; +200
- Government: 29,400; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,500; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 17,200; +400
- Business Services: 17,200; +100
- Manufacturing: 6,500; +100
- Financial Services: 4,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,400; no change
- Other Jobs: 3,200; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.