Overall unemployment rate moved down to 7.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Brownsville-Harlingen, TX market rose by 1,833 jobs in February and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 7.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Brownsville-Harlingen, TX unemployment rate is 316 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 360 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 43,900; no change
- Government: 29,500; +500
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,800; +100
- Business Services: 17,100; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 16,900; +400
- Manufacturing: 6,400; no change
- Financial Services: 4,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,400; no change
- Other Jobs: 3,200; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.