Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.7% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 3,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Austin-Round Rock, TX market rose by 12,932 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 2.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Austin-Round Rock, TX unemployment rate is 105 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 6.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 252,300; +800
- Transportation & Utilities: 200,900; +900
- Government: 186,500; -400
- Education & Healthcare: 140,200; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 132,400; +3,300
- Financial Services: 75,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 73,500; +100
- Manufacturing: 67,200; -400
- IT & Development: 48,500; +300
- Other Jobs: 45,900; +2,100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.