Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.2% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Auburn-Opelika, AL market rose by 305 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 2.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Auburn-Opelika, AL unemployment rate is 155 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 70 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 10.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 18,800; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 13,400; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 8,600; no change
- Business Services: 7,300; no change
- Manufacturing: 6,600; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 5,000; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,200; +100
- Other Jobs: 2,500; no change
- Financial Services: 1,900; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.