Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Auburn-Opelika, AL market rose by 249 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Auburn-Opelika, AL unemployment rate is 88 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 20 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 7.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 18,400; -400
- Transportation & Utilities: 13,300; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 8,900; no change
- Business Services: 7,500; +100
- Manufacturing: 6,700; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 5,100; -100
- Construction, Mining: 3,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 2,500; -100
- Financial Services: 1,900; no change
- IT & Development: 600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.