Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 6,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA market rose by 697 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA unemployment rate is 98 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 5.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs stayed flat. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 642,200; +1,200
- Business Services: 598,200; +1,800
- Education & Healthcare: 386,800; -900
- Government: 322,600; -6,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 300,800; +5,100
- Financial Services: 196,800; +1,600
- Manufacturing: 177,000; -1,000
- Construction, Mining: 134,500; -1,300
- IT & Development: 121,600; -200
- Other Jobs: 103,000; -1,200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.