Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Athens-Clarke County, GA market rose by 1,364 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 2.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Athens-Clarke County, GA unemployment rate is 102 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 50 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 30,100; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 17,700; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,700; no change
- Business Services: 9,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.