Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.6% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Athens-Clarke County, GA market declined by 248 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.6%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Athens-Clarke County, GA unemployment rate is 118 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 9.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 28,800; -200
- Transportation & Utilities: 17,700; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,600; +100
- Business Services: 9,600; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.