Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 2.9% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Athens-Clarke County, GA market rose by 42 jobs in February and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Athens-Clarke County, GA unemployment rate is 124 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 6.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 28,700; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 17,400; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,100; +200
- Business Services: 9,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.