Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Athens-Clarke County, GA market declined by 178 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Athens-Clarke County, GA unemployment rate is 89 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 50 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 9.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.8% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 29,900; +1,100
- Transportation & Utilities: 17,700; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,700; +200
- Business Services: 9,500; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.