Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.0% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Athens-Clarke County, GA market rose by 637 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 2.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Athens-Clarke County, GA unemployment rate is 134 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in April versus prior month by 9.6% and are equal compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 28,700; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 17,800; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,300; +100
- Business Services: 9,400; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.