Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.2% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which lost 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in February 2022.
Total employment in the Utica-Rome, NY market rose by 102 jobs in December and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 3.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 20 bps over the same time to 3.7%.
- Utica-Rome, NY unemployment rate is 49 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 340 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in December versus prior month by -2.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.3%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 29,400; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 26,300; -500
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,800; +300
- Manufacturing: 10,700; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,100; +100
- Business Services: 8,000; no change
- Financial Services: 7,600; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,100; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,300; -300
- IT & Development: 900; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through December 2021 (Data published February 2022 and reports created on February 4, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.